So, in no way am I an expert, but I've decided to hitch a ride on the ayurvedic express, LOL. The picture you see to the left is my new stash! I went to the Indian store and got some real goodies.
Actually, the shikakai was a gift from FCC (thank you, Sweets!), but everything else I got from the Indian store. Funny thing is - I'm pretty much clueless on how to use all this stuff. I'm not discouraged though, because where there is a will, there is way, and fortunately NC.com has a great thread going right now where many brave souls are testing and using ayurvedic products, and they seem to be having some good results.
Here's what I bought and what each item is supposed to do:
Neem Leaf Powder - relieves dry and itchy scalp, dandruff, the symptoms of scalp psoriasis, as well as giving you silky, shiny, stronger hair and encourage growth. It really makes a big difference, and it does so seemingly over night. People who have supposedly tried everything to help their thinning, dry hair are besides themselves when seeing the immediate improvements after using neem hair products.
Shikakai Power - acts as a natural astringent for hair enhancing its binding properties. It clears dandruff and cleans the dirt accumulated on the scalp. Being a natural conditioner for hair, SHIKAKAI strengthens hair roots and promotes luxuriant growth. Hesh Shikakai powder has certain vital properties that act as coolants for the scalp. This powder has to be mixed with water and used as a paste on the hair instead of shampoo.
Amla Power - is a natural astringent and skin toner that works on both hair and skin. In Botanical term it is known as Emblic Myrobalan. The paste of this powder helps promote luxuriant hair. Even as it controls hair loss. It stimulates hair roots and promote hair growth. This apart, it prevents scalp infection and controls premature graying of hair.
Bhringaraj Oil - from the plant Eclipta alba (Roxb.) is used in Ayurveda for promoting hair growth, preventing premature hair loss, and darkening the hair. Also used to treat dandruff, eczema, and dryness of the scalp.
Ok, so I have quite a few things to play with. I'll keep you posted on how they work for me. Since I'm a product junkie, I'm giving myself at least three months to remain on this ayurvedic routine, which I actually have to figure out before I can start this journey:0/. Anyway, I figure three months should be more than enough time to see if there is any noticeable differences. We shall see *keeps fingers crossed*.
Ciao!!

5 Comments:
Hey friend. lol
My one faithful Ayurvedic treatment is HENNA.
I was looking through some old photos in my hair album and there is a noticeable difference in my hair between my first treatment in February through April. It has really made my hair thrive but I had no idea how much until reminiscing through the album the other day.
Sometimes I add the brinjaraj powder into the henna and now that I think back, I did get less shed during styling so I'll revisit that one.
The Dabur Amla lite is a wonder oil and leaves the hair feeling silky. But,it is a mineral oil based, which I didn't realize until after I fell in love. lol
I've tried the Shikakai soap bar and the particular brand seems to leave my hair feeling stripped so I recently trashed it.
I did buy the Vatika oil once but had a acne breakout due to virgin coconut oil purchased from walmart so I never gave a vatika a try.
Really interested to see results with the Neem powder.
Yes, I enjoy henna too. I think my hair has really improved after starting to henna. THis is why I was so open to other ayurveda products, because the henna worked so well for me. I've used the dabur Amla too, but I didn't like the smell AT ALL . Also the fact that it has mineral oil prevents me from getting more.
If you ever decide to try the vatika oil let me know how you like it. I think that may be next on my list of ayurvedic products to try.
I tried the vatika oil, but I think my hair hates oil in any form (but I am still trying ;-)and if I remember correctly it stinks
I also tried the Neem, but on my face as it is said to be good for acne (jury still out on that one.
Still yet to try the others, but willmake an effor to do so soon.
FCC
My hair hates oils too - or at least I thought it did until I did this ayurveda quiz. Turns out my hair is ok with oils, but only certain ones. You should take the test and see if it recommends a kind of oil that your hair likes.
Post a Comment