As embarrassing as it is to admit this, I washed my hair five - yes - five times yesterday:0(.
Why in the world would you wash your hair five times, you might ask. Well, because I was playing with my products, as I usually do when hubby give me some free time, and I found that the more products I used the more ridiculous my hair started to look.
I put in Nature's Gate Hemp conditioner and sealed with oil - pow - my hair frizzed up! I washed it out. I put in Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Condition - puff - a q-tip! And on and on...
Believe me - I think certain hair types that have that soft cottony look are absolutely gorgeous! I mean gorgeous. But this was not pretty- not at all . It was like my hair was bent in all kinds of awkward ways - with little hairs sticking out all around, making it look like I had a wild halo.
It's a really odd look, almost like I had left over relaxer on my ends:0/. And truthfully, if I didn't know any better (I did the BC around 14+months ago, and I've had 3 hair cuts since), I might have been tempted to cut those wild hairs right off, because they almost seemed to be damaged ends *yikes*.
Anyway, so I washed the AO HSR out, and I applied another product that has oil in it - same thing:0(. Then I started to think about my hair after I washed it each of these times, and realized that after I washed my hair each time - it actually started to look half way decent again. Hmmm ... so I decided to clarify. Wham! The curls started to pop again! So ok - now we're getting some where.
I then decided to truly experiment, and see if I added a product with oil in it would I get that same wild looking frizz again after clarifying. So all I did was add some v05 to my hair - ok, curls still looking nice. Then I added some extra virgin olive oil on top of the V05 - bap! - the frizz started to evolve. And the more I smoothed the EVOO into my hair the frizzier it got:0/. So, there it was - right in front of me - it was the oil!
I then started looking at all of my products for those that contained some sort of oil in it - and believe me - there are a lot - in fact, most of my products have some sort of oil in them, so I will have to find a good home for these babies:0>.
Ok, so since I knew that it was the oil that was causing the issue - I clarified again! Yes, I know - clarifying twice in one day - don't try this at home boys and girls! I put the clarifier in (Redkin Cleansing Creme) and left it on for 5 minutes - per the instructions if you have a lot of build up. I rinsed and immediately my curls came back - my hair felt like straw:0( - but my curls were back!
So, I applied some more v05 conditioner and left it in my hair overnight - I know, v05 is not very conditioning, but that's really all I had on hand that didn't have oil in it. When I rinsed my curls in the morning and again my curls were still in tact! So yeah, it was the oil. After I rinsed, I applied a fresh lite layer of v05 as a leave-in and then some Krystal Ecostyler to style - turned out great!
Now that I know all this, I have to revamp my whole routine. I'm now buying all oil-free products, which is not as easy as it sounds. I was really surprised at how many products out there have oil in them - I mean the list is endless.
Anyway after looking around a longggg time today, I picked up - BioInfusion Hydrating Conditioning Balm, which has zero oil. Giovanni 50:50 Balance, which has zero oil. And Aussie Instant Freeze Gel, again - no oil. I can also use my ecostyler, but I'm a sucker for gels, so when I saw the Aussie one, I decided to give it a try:0).
I'll report back on these as soon as I can tell if avoiding oils really, really makes a difference for me. We shall see:).
Ciao!!

7 Comments:
I have had similar experiences, though I think my hair likes oil. I just can't leave in heavy oils or heavy products like AOHR. Now I rinse heavy oils and products like AOHR out after 5 mins to an hour. Otherwise, I end up with the massive frizz that you experienced. I also have lots of buildup when I leave oils and oil-based products in. At least you didn't have to go anywhere after your experiment. :-)
Yeah - no doubt:0), I'm very glad I was home for the day.
Isn't that odd how that happens:0?. I just had no idea that my hair was reacting this way to the oils. I wonder why that happens?
I have had issues with oils as well. But not all oils behave the same way on my hair. It's taken A LOT of experimenting and there are certain formulations that are great on me and others that are horrible. DM L&T is a nightmare to remove on me. But I can use Afro Detangler, CJ Aloe Fix, Komaza pudding or milk with no issues at all. You may not need to give up on all oils completely, just certain product formulations.
@DEL - that's really encouraging, because I was wondering what products to even bother trying if my hair hates all oils:0/. I'll give some of the products you listed a try, and see if I might get lucky enough to use them too. Thanks!!
onyx another thing I forgot to say was that one thing that the styling products I listed have in common, is that they all contain either Coconut oil (my hair loves coconut oil) or a single oil. I can run into trouble when there are several oils in a product, especially Stylers. I was convinced I couldn't use Jojoba until I tried CJ Rehab. Also, straight oils are a big NO NO other then Coconut. Another recent fave of mine is DM Mira Gelly which contains Avocado oil.
I know this is old, but I just realized that there were comments. I've had success with Afroveda's CocoLatte Moisture mask. I agree with Del about product formulations. I think this is why the only conditioner that I've had success with on a long-term basis is Jessicurl's Too Shea.
@Del, this is good to know - but also making me want to try the Cj Rehab - grrrr!! I'm trying to kill my pj over here:0).
@Mara - Thanks for the info - I'll check into it.
Post a Comment