DEL, a fellow subscriber, was kind enough to provide us with a link to a very informative article on Naturallycurly.com about the differences between butters and oils: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/curlchemist-helps-us-understand-oils-and-butters.
As some of you may know, my hair does not like oils, and honestly, I was under the impression that I would have to give up all oils and butters for good. Either that or plaster my hair with gel day after day in hopes of taming the disaster that certain oils seem to wreak on my hair.
Interestingly enough, however, DEL has also had a similar issue with oils, but she has actually been able to find some quality products that contain oil, yet still work well for her!!
Her experience gives me a great deal of hope, as does this very interesting article. I'm no chemistry major, so reading it certainly got my brain cells twitching, but I figure with a few more reads I should be able to get this oil vs butter thing down;0). The important point that I took away from the article is that just as with most products, it really is about experimentation. What works for your hair.
Here's hoping that this head of hair finds an oil or butter that she can tolerate in either large or small quantities. Particularly, before the dryness of winter is upon us:0/.
Ciao!!

2 Comments:
Onyx I can't tell you what a disaster last Winter was for me!! I really had no idea what I was doing!! I kept trying all these natural products that are loaded with oils and having more problems then ever. I'll tell you Lustrasilk Olive Oil or Shea Mango was the best LI in frigid temps. Also another recent article about Porosity http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair
helps a great deal to understand why our hair behaves the way it does. If your hair is porous you're going to suck in more water so it stands to reason you'll suck in more oil as well. So don't despair! You'll get this figured out...
Thanks DEL!!! Another great article!! I want to post this one in the blog also, just in case others don't notice it in the comments section. I really appreciate encouragement!!
Post a Comment